How to identify the symptoms of mold exposure.
There have been a lot of stories in recent years of the dangers of mold. Because of the amount of time we spend in our homes with the windows closed to maintain temperature, we are far more likely to experience symptoms of mold exposure than in years past. This combined with greater knowledge of the dangers of mold and we can all become much more aware of the impact of mold to ourselves and our families and loved ones. If you feel like you don’t know enough about mold to make educated decisions, here is some information you should know about the symptoms of mold exposure.
Mold grows in warm, damp places. In nature, mold is beneficial as it helps to break down natural elements as they begin to decompose. But in our homes it can be dangerous and toxic. The most dangerous part of mold is the spores. When mold is moved or disrupted, the spores become airborne and are then inhaled, which can trigger the symptoms of mold exposure.
Understanding the Symptoms
The symptoms of mold exposure can vary from mild to severe, depending on an individual’s sensitivity. Here are some of the more common, and more mild, symptoms of mold exposure.
- Runny nose
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Sinus congestion and/or drainage
- Sore throat
- Coughing and wheezing
Some of the more severe symptoms of mold exposure include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Respiratory inflammation
- Inability to concentrate
It’s important to note that although some of these symptoms of mold exposure are also symptoms of other health issues, having your home tested for mold is one of the surest ways to determine the source of your symptoms.
If you feel like you exhibit some or all of these symptoms of mold exposure, don’t wait to see if they go away. Contact a professional and have your home tested for mold. Getting rid of the mold is the fastest way to get rid of the symptoms of mold exposure.