We all know what mold is and we’ve all seen it in some for or another, either on an old sandwich, a hunk of cheese, or in the shower or tub that’s gone a little too long between cleanings. The truth about mold, however, can be a little vague. Here are 3 things no one tells you about mold damage.
Mold Isn’t Toxic
The truth is that mold itself is not toxic. However, mold produces mycotoxins which are toxic. In order to eliminate the mycotoxins, one must eliminate the mold. Mold damage removal is the only way to deal with potentially dangerous mold damage.
Bleach Doesn’t Get Rid of Mold
Many people use bleach to treat mold in their homes. However, it will only be effective on non-porous materials such as tile and glass, on which mold damage is minimal anyway and the bleach generally just acts as a cleaning agent in the mold removal. Bleach won’t penetrate porous materials such as drywall and wood and so it is not effective in treating mold damage in most places in your home.
Education is Key
Educate yourself on what mold damage looks like and what the effects can be on your health. Mold left untreated can spread to cover a large area in your home. Once the mold damage is that invasive, it’s time to call in a professional. But don’t let scare tactics talk you into working with a company you don’t know or trust. Use your judgment when selecting a mold damage remediation professional.
When you’re doing your research to find the best way to treat the mold damage in your home, be sure to contact Can-Restore. With more than 8 years of experience in the Cumming, GA area, Can-Restore is your go-to source for mold damage control.